Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Future vs. Futuristic

What will our future bring?

When I think futuristic, I think Sci-Fi.  I think of spaceships, other planets, and aliens with squiggly weird things flapping out of their heads.  How long will it take to obtain this type of future?  The real question is, will we ever?

When I sat down to write Amber and Blue, I decided to place the setting in the not so distant future.  This future, eighty years away, is not much different from our own time.  Before I could think of our future, I had to look to our past.  What were the cars like eighty years ago?  How have they changed?  How has technology affected us since then? 

I finally came to the conclusion that not much will change.  We will still walk this earth with the same two feet, we will still yearn for the beauty of nature, and we will still fall in love much the same as we do today.

Will we have flying cars in eighty years?  I'm not hopeful.  Our car manufacturers have yet to come up with a decent electric car.  I doubt we will see the anti-gravity X-34 landspeeder anytime soon.

Take a closer look at Amber and Blue.  You will certainly find a few futuristic touches hidden in its pages.   My favorite is Alex's truck.  "In near silence, her motor ran with an electric buzz, but her massive knobbies hummed with a roaring purr when they spun over the pavement." 

Can you spot a few more?   Leave a note with your thoughts below or give me a shout at AmberAndBlue@gmail.com
-K.R.Rowe

 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment